Fried egg noodles is another popular dish among Sri Lankans. Probably, you can find this dish in most of the restaurants in the island. I first learned this simple recipe as my husband loves it. He told me that after school he and his buddies used get together for lunch in Kolpitty (Colombo 03). There, they had this type of noodles often at a restaurant called Galaxy every other day that they skip eating from the neighbouring Dosai restaurant named Indo-Ceylon. For him, this is like a memory trigger. He starts with noodles or dosai and ends up going back to all the mischievous things that they used to do as teens. Anyways, you can use any kind of noodles to make this dish. However, I highly recommend using “Harischandra” brand’s noodles, that is if you live in Sri Lanka or able to find in your region. Ha, for people who are not familiar with this brand; this is not a special kind of a noodles, it’s just a very common brand in Sri Lanka from decades and most people are used to its texture and taste. Okay, I’ll get on to the recipe now.
- 3 – 4 servings of prepared noodles (boil with added salt to your taste)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 large Leek – finely chopped
- A large onion – sliced
- 4 green chillies – cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 tsp of finely chopped ginger
- 1 spike of curry leaves
- A small piece of lemon grass (optional)- chopped
- ½ tsp of black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp of black pepper powder (Adjust the amount according your taste)
- Salt to your taste
- 3 tbsp of cooking (or 2 tbsp of butter or margarine)
Warm the oil in a pan or a cooking pot and temper onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and lemon grass(optional) for about 2 minutes under moderate heat.
Now, add leeks, salt and pepper and continue stir frying for around a minute.
Then, push all to a side of the pan in order to make a free space for eggs. Now, bring in the eggs and make scramble separately in the same pan.
Then, combine all in the pan and continue stir frying for about 30 seconds and bring in the noodles. Now, mix all well and continue frying for about 2 minutes. Finally, adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve alone as it is or with a curry or a condiment of your preference.
- It is better to lower the heat while mixing the noodles with other ingredients. Once you see that all are well mixed, increase the heat and start stir frying the noodles. Also, stir continuously and efficiently to prevent sticking noodles to the bottom of the pan.